TIME: US | UK
WEATHER: US | UK
THE AMERICAN MAGAZINE ONLINE
Features & Blogs
"Life in the UK"
• Sideline: Yes, Non–Conference Games DO Count
• NCAA Preview 2009
• Sideline: Time For The Talking To Stop
• Sideline: In Memory of Air McNair
• Sideline: Will Goodell Hand Out Hard Time?
• Sideline: Marshall's Not Joshing
• NFL Draft: No Rush To Judgment
• NFL Draft Analysis 2009 (Part 2)
• Sideline: NFL Draft Thoughts (Part 2)
• Sideline: NFL Draft Thoughts
• Sideline: Will Play For Food
• Sideline: Wonderlic Scores
• Sideline: Manning and Sanchez
• Sideline: 2010 Leagues Sci–fi, or Fantasy? / March Madness
• Sideline: Break Out The Brackets
• Sideline: LaDainian Tomlinson On The Record
• Sideline: The Incredible Sulk Continues
• Sideline: Guildford Heat Fired Up
• Sideline: Super Bowl thoughts from the Valley of the Sun
• Sideline: I know I came in here for something
• Sideline: College Football National Signing Day
• Sideline: 27 Points — 27 Super Bowl thoughts
• Sideline: An Epic QB Matchup?
• Sideline: Appreciating Arizona for What They Were
• Sideline: NFL Divisional Weekend Preview
• Sideline: Bowl Season Hangover
• Sideline: Six weeks Later
• Sideline: Wildcard Weekend Preview
• Sideline: Santa's Sackings
• Sideline: A Weis Decision ...for Now
• Sideline: Eye on the Ticker
• Sideline: Lions — An Anagram of Losin
• Sideline: Ready for the Turkey
• Sideline: Making it to the Big Dance
• Sideline: Brighter Days Ahead for Chargers?
• Sideline: Unnecessary Hits To The Pocket / Upset: BYU
• Sideline: Romo's Pause / Seattle Seahawks
• Sideline: Weekend Prep: Red River and More
• Sideline: College Football's 'Crossroads' Weekend
• Sideline: Gramatical Error
• Sideline: Turning The Page
• Sideline: So Cal 'Quizzed
• Sideline: 3rd Tuesday Panic / Forté Yard Dash
• Sideline: Two and Oh; Oh and Two
• Sideline: No More NCAAffeine
• Sideline: Week 1 College Football
• Sideline: How To Spell Heisman / Chad Ocho Cinco
• Sideline: A Second Slice
• Sideline: The Favre story STILL won't go away
• Sideline: Olympic Notes / Ricky's Still Relevant
• Sideline: Committee Meetings
• Sideline: Let the QB Battles Begin
• Sideline: Slinging The Slinger — More Favre
• Interview: Clint Dempsey
• Sideline: Welcome to the 2008 season
• Sideline: Plus One
• 2008 NFL Draft Review
• Sideline: Draft: The Morning After
• Sideline: Draft: Thinking the Unthinkable
• Sideline: Draft: Ready For The Long Haul
• Sideline: Sofa–bound Sport
• Sideline: Post–Winter Wonderland
• Sideline: Six Impossible Things
• Sideline: Brady's Misdirection Play
• Sideline: Colorful Language
• Sideline: Let the Romo–bashing begin
• Sideline: Bowl Bites: The Wrap
• Sideline: All About The Coaches
• Sideline: Bowl Bites 3
• Sideline: Bowl Bites 2
• Sideline: Bowl Bites 1
• Sideline: Coach Situations Vacant
• Sideline: For Some, The Playoffs Are Now
• Sideline: A Certain Lack Of Welcome
• Sideline: Unrelated Notes
• Sideline: Two Thanksgiving thoughts
• Sideline: Halftime: NFC
• Sideline: Halftime: AFC
• Sideline: London / A Tale of Two Chads / Intimidation
• Sideline: Damp Squib / Other London Notes
• Sideline: Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em / Dolphins – The Aftermath
• Sideline: The Dolphins Did What?
• Sideline: Notes on the Defenses
• Sideline: Habits to be Broken
• Sideline: Overtime
• Sideline: This Week's Starters
• Sideline: USF: Covering The Spread / Fantastic Football
• Sideline: Grossman: The Final Act? / McNabb, the Epilogue
• Sideline: Eagles QB in Slight Controversy
• Sideline: Leftwich's Parting Gift / Boos cruise
• Sideline: Notre Dame M.I.A.
• Sideline: Looking Beyond NFL Wk. 1
• Sideline: Best Hope For Heisman
• Sideline: Coaching Hot Seats / AP Poll Feeling ’Appy
• Sideline: The NFL’s Prime Cuts
• Sideline: Michigan Falls to Killer Apps
• Sideline: Look Out Couch / The Taint's On You, Bud
Observations, Opinion & Occasional Silliness by Richard L Gale
One and Half Hours of Overtime
3.30am... I was going to bed, resolved to check in for any upset in the morning. The upset, of course, was perhaps going to be Florida dragging the LSU Tigers from the ranks of the unbeaten.
On a whim, I flicked over the rolling scores, and in a flash, clicked through to the Stanford audiocast in time for the go-ahead score, the final interception, the victory... for the Cardinal. It's now 3.40am. Wow. What doesn't this college football have in store for us?
The poll voters are really going to have their work cut out for them this week. If Michigan falls out of the 25 when it loses to Appalachian State, how far does ex-No.1 (or ex-No.2) USC fall when they get beaten at home by Stanford? With Wisconsin losing to Illinois, is South Florida really now a Top 5 team? Will AP voters really keep Boston College below USF when they reshuffle the deck? And can everybody resist from leap-frogging Ohio State above California for the No.1 spot if LSU falters?
3.50am. Florida has re-established their 10-point lead over the LSU tigers, and I'm tuned back to Florida's radio network. I guess sleep will have to wait.
4.00am. I'm supposed to be getting up for the Chinese Grand prix in two hours, Hawaii hasn't even kicked off yet, and I'm wondering how credible it is that by the NFL's night game tomorrow, 65 AP voters are going to have made an informed decision about the College Top 25 rather than a wild guess based on final score lines and a handful of highlights.
4.10am. The news is filtering through the sports websites now, headline news on most news services. The news has surely reached the field and the LSU players – will this be the spark they need to take command against Tim Tebow's Gators (and they certainly ARE 'Tebow's Gators' so far)? It seems like two days ago that I was watching Lee Corso and company prepping for this game. Actually it WAS yesterday here in the UK.
4.20am. Interception by the Tigers! The Florida Gators were the first college team I ever journeyed to see, but I have innumerable Cajun cousins, so my loyalties are swinging wildly. (Touchdown, Tigers). Mostly, my loyalties are with whoever can put this game away most urgently, and I've a nasty feeling this one's destined for overtime.
4.30am. Notre Dame is ahead of UCLA, 20-6 late in the 4th quarter, an upset I picked out in this column back in September 16, by the way (forgive me, but the sound of my own trumpet is the only thing keeping me awake). Poor Notre Dame, they finally get it going, and Stanford's stolen their thunder. Expect the Irish to take that out on the Cardinal in their season finale (yes, that's another prediction).
4.45am. First and Goal for LSU at the Florida 6 with two minutes to go. Mrs Football is making dinner in the kitchen two hours before she's due to wake up, and I'm getting ready to go to bed. No wonder we don't have any kids. Touchdown LSU. It's now a four-point game with one minute to go – overtime may have been averted.
5.00am. Chalk one up for the AP poll – who had LSU at No.1 by a tiny margin last week – vs USA Today, who had USC by a landslide. Tomorrow, it'll probably be unanimous. Oh wait, it IS tomorrow. Zzzzzzz.